Thursday, January 26, 2012

Portland Bites: Trader Vic's

Lucy and I have decided to try a new Portland restaurant or new dish at home once a week, and I've decided to write about it. Here we go...

 

I wasn't quite sure what to expect before going into Trader Vic's. I had looked in the windows a bazillion times and knew that it was Hawaiian/south Pacific themed, but that was about it. That's not true, I also knew that the original Trader Vic’s Portland location was in the Benson Hotel. 
Lucy and I decided to try Trader Vic's on a cold rainy night after talking about how a vacation to Hawaii or Mexico sounded like the best thing ever. 
We were pleasantly surprised that it really did feel like we had escaped the rain and transported ourselves to the tropics. The food was pretty tasty, the drinks made you forget that you were in a a rainy hipster city for a while, and the prices definitely made you feel like you were staying at a tropical resort. I love restaurants that transport you somewhere else and Trader Vic's definitely did that for us.
I guess I should talk a little bit about the interior too?? It is really cool. VanillaWood (located right across the street from the restaurant) designed the interior and did a lovely job. I'm not sure why there is a fake living wall at the entrance, we do basically live in the capital city for living walls, but I guess you have to save money somewhere. 



1 comment:

  1. I installed the wall at Trader Vic's. It is indeed alive and always has been. Just an FYI. I was in there a few nights ago and it was doing well. Great place.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...